It is not uncommon knowledge that one of the leading causes of personal injuries are car accidents. Sadly, many of these injuries can be very serious or even lead to death. Because of the life changes that occur after a person has been injured in a car accident, it is very important that the injured party speak to an accident lawyer about their rights.
How Your Rights as an Injury Victim Can Be Impaired
If you were injured in a car accident that was the fault of another driver, you have specific rights under state law and the terms of the insurance policies covering the accident to receive compensation for your losses. These losses may include:
- All current medical costs associated with the injuries
- All future medical costs associated with the injury
- Repairs or replacement of your damage vehicle
- Rental transportation during the time you are waiting for repairs to be completed
- Loss of wages due to missed time for recovery
- Future lost wages and benefits due to changes in your life from the injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of Consortium
There may be additional benefits that apply to your specific case. Your attorney will inform you of all forms of compensation you are entitled to based on your case information.
However, insurance companies are not very “good” at offering complete and fair compensation for your injuries. In fact, it is their job to try to settle cases quickly and without all forms of compensation included as a way to save money for their company.
It is not unusual anymore for an insurance adjustor to begin to make offers to settle a case within 48 hours of an accident occurring. They come to the injured party and throw around some cash figures and try to get them to agree to the settlement. This is really unfair to the injured party and not very ethical business practices. How can someone who has just been injured and probably under the influence of pain medication make a decision about their future health status within 48 hours of receiving an injury? Even a doctor who specializes in injuries cannot predict how an injury will impact a person’s life in such short time.
This is why it is so important to speak with a Phoenix personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to protect your rights as a victim. Your attorney will act on your behalf and make sure that the insurance company looks out for your best interest instead of their own.
What Your Car Accident Attorney Will Do For You
Your attorney understands that you are suffering from more than physical pain due to your injuries. There is emotional and financial stress that you must cope with during this time, and there are also many legal issues. All of these stresses can significantly slow down your recovery process because you do not have the ability to just concentrate on your physical recovery. Hiring an attorney can eliminate many of these stressful situations.
Your attorney can:
- Make sure that fault for the accident has been established. The insurance company is going to demand proof of who was at fault for the event. Your attorney will gather evidence and call in accident reconstruction experts if necessary to prove fault.
- Monitor your medical care. Many times insurance companies deny treatment options because they believe they are unnecessary or too costly. However, it is their obligation to make sure you receive the care you need to make a recovery. Your attorney will act as your liaison with the insurance company to ensure you are receiving the right care for your condition.
- Develop a compensation package based on the facts of the case, the long term outlook for your injuries, all state laws that apply to this type of accident and the terms of the insurance policies. Using all of this information, your lawyer will begin the negotiation process with the insurance company.
- Aggressively represent your case. Your attorney knows that your entire life has been affected by this accident. They will work to make sure you are compensated for all of your losses.
- Handle all legal issues. Your attorney will work on your behalf to handle all legal issues, including the finalization of your settlement.
When your case is represented by an car accident attorney, the insurance company understands that they must play fair. This is a benefit to your case and to your overall stress level. By allowing an attorney to represent your case, you will give yourself more time to concentrate on your recovery and plan for your future.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Cantor Crane for their insight into auto accidents involving children.