Child Custody Lawyers Peoria IL
Smith & Weer, P.C. are child custody lawyers Peoria IL provides who may help you with your custody issues. Our attorneys have helped protect the custody rights of many parents. Call us at (309) 628-0338 for a free case review today.
Peoria IL child custody lawyers may help you navigate the often frustrating and emotionally draining path to gaining custody of your child. The legal team at Smith & Weer, P.C. understands how difficult it can be for parents to establish legal recognition of their rights. When trying to choose among the many child custody lawyers Peoria IL offers, it may be helpful to ask them the following questions.
Questions to Ask When Selecting a Child Custody Lawyer
Before meeting with any child custody lawyers in Peoria IL, write down the questions you want to ask that will help you choose the right one to represent you. Before asking your questions, provide a brief overview of your child custody case, and explain the main points of contention between you and the child’s other parent. Below are suggested questions that you may wish to ask lawyers who you’re considering hiring.
- How long have you been a licensed attorney?
- How many child custody cases do you handle per year, on average?
- How many cases have you handled that were similar to mine?
- What was the outcome of those similar cases?
- How often do you use mediation to settle child custody cases?
When you meet with child custody lawyers Peoria IL families hire in similar situations, you may want to ask questions along these lines:
- What is your assessment of my child custody case?
- What do you anticipate the outcome will be?
- What are the potential issues I might face in my child custody case?
- Will it be necessary to go to trial?
- How soon can I reasonably expect that my child custody issues will be settled?
- Do you think mediation is an option for my situation?
Management of Your Child Custody Case
It’s reasonable to request information that will allow you to gauge the lawyer’s ability and availability to handle your case.
- Do you have the time and other necessary resources to handle my case?
- Will you, or a junior attorney be responsible for my case?
- Who else within your firm may be working on my case?
- If you will not be the primary attorney, may I meet with that person before I agree to hire your firm?
- How often will I receive progress reports from you about my case?
- Who will be my day-to-day contact?
- What is the best method to communicate with my primary attorney at your firm? Email? Phone? Text message?
Legal Fees and Other Costs
- How much do you charge?
- Are there less experienced lawyers or paralegals at your firm who can handle some of my casework in order to lower my costs?
- When will I need to pay you?
- What other fees will I have to pay?
- Can you give me a written estimate of all fees and costs that I should expect to pay for the duration of my child custody case?
Ask the lawyer if there are any questions that you should have asked, or if there is additional information you should be aware of.
Making Your Decision
Consider all of the information you received in answer to your questions, but also consider whether or not the lawyer is somebody you want to work with. Your child custody case may be the most important challenge of your life and you want someone by your side with whom you can communicate and trust. There are many good child custody lawyers Peoria IL offers that could probably handle your case, but you want the one who is best suited to your needs.
Call us today at Smith & Weer, P.C. for a free case review if you’re considering which child custody lawyers Peoria IL has that you want to hire.