If you are struggling financially and see no end in sight, you may have thought about contacting a chapter 7 lawyer Peoria IL residents depend on. At Smith & Weer, P.C., we have almost four decades of experience helping clients with debt relief and consumer protection issues. We are happy to meet and discuss your situation and whether or not chapter 7 is right for you.
Why Do I Need a Chapter 7 Lawyer Peoria IL Clients Recommend?
Although some people think they can file for chapter 7 on their own, many of those people soon find out that it is not only a complicated process, but even one mistake can lead to a judge dismissing a bankruptcy filing. There are complex legal issues that must be addressed in bankruptcy and retaining the services of a seasoned chapter 7 lawyer in Peoria IL can ensure that your bankruptcy petition not only meets the standard required by the U.S. Bankruptcy Code, but that you are also listing all of the dischargeable debts you are entitled to include.
Some of the ways a chapter 7 lawyer Peoria IL can help you include:
- Determining if you qualify for bankruptcy;
- Evaluating your case and determining if bankruptcy is the right choice for you and which chapter will provide you with the most benefit;
- Explain the bankruptcy process to you;
- Determine which of your debts can and cannot be discharged. There are some debts, for example child support arrearages, that bankruptcy court does not allow you to discharge;
- Determine what property you will be allowed to keep after your discharge. This can include your home, vehicles, or other property;
- Determine whether or not there are creditors you should continue to pay while your bankruptcy is pending;
- Determine what, if any, tax consequences you will have; and
- Fill out all the documents and forms required in a bankruptcy filing.
Many people who file their own bankruptcies without an attorney run into problems almost from the beginning. Some of the more common problems include:
- They file the wrong bankruptcy chapter. There are several different types of bankruptcy you can file but each one has specific qualifying factors;
When filing bankruptcy documents with the court, the fail to file all the required documentation or some of it is filled out incorrectly;
- Filing incorrect property exemptions;
- Failing to take the credit counseling and financial management classes the court requires; and
- Not understanding how to deal with creditors challenging a discharge of debt.
As you can see just in this brief overview, bankruptcy can be complex. By hiring an attorney who will handle the process for you, it will likely be less stressfrul than if you tried to handle the filing yourself. Having an attorney ensures the process will go a lot smoother and you will be on the road back to financial recovery a lot quicker.
Contact a Chapter 7 Lawyer Peoria IL Trusts Today
If you would like to meet with an experienced Peoria chapter 7 lawyer and find out if bankruptcy can help your situation, contact the legal team at Smith & Weer, P.C. today. We can evaluate whether you qualify for chapter 7 or if chapter 13 would be a better alternative.
Call a chapter 7 lawyer Peoria IL provides at 309-694-6700 for your free evaluation.